10 Replenishing Coconut Water Recipes To Get You Through Ramadan
** This post has been sponsored by Vita Coco Coconut Water**
Over the last few years, we’ve seen a real change in the way Muslims eat during Ramadan and there has been a shift to less fried foods and more grilled items, fruits in place of rich desserts, salads and a lot more healthy options. Next on the list of things to switch are the drinks!
Whilst we love our sugary, fizzy drinks, they seem to do our body no good especially after a long fast. Not only do fizzy drinks leave you feeling sluggish but they can give you digestion problems and all the sugar and caffeine that they pack can actually increase dehydration. Wow, no thank you.
Don’t despair though, there are plenty of healthy, hydrating and fun options other than water and one that we like in particular is Vita coco coconut water! We can hear you umm-ing and ahh-ing but hear us out, coconut water is a really healthy and versatile drink option that can be jazzed up in many ways. Think strawberry mojitos, ice lollies, sorbets and much more.
P.S. Read ahead to find out how you can get 20% off your next order of Vita Coco.
Now before we get to the recipes, let’s talk about why coconut water in particular is so good.
Here are 5 reasons why coconut water is so great:
- It is a low-calorie and low-sugar drink: Coconut water makes for a healthy and delicious sugary-drink alternative thanks to it’s low calorie and low sugar count. It is naturally sweetened and in terms of calories, one glass comes to around 46 calories in comparison to a glass of orange juice that can set you back 100+ calories. This makes it the perfect drink that can be enjoyed by everyone, including children, diabetics, those on a weight-loss regime etc.
- Aids in post-workout recovery: A prolonged workout can lead to electrolytes in your body becoming deplenished and although water is probably your first choice of drink post-workout, studies have shown that coconut water hydrates much better thanks to the carbohydrates, potassium and magnesium that it contains!
- Works as an energy booster: Vita Coco coconut water packs a huge amount of vitamin C so much so that just 500ml of coconut water contains your daily quota of vitamin C.
- May help to reduce high blood pressure and stroke-risk: A potassium-rich diet is known to lower your blood pressure as the potassium helps to counteract the sodium in the blood, something that leads to rise in blood pressure. One cup of Vita Coco coconut water can contain more potassium than a medium-sized banana so you know it’s going to be good for you.
- Can support good digestion: Due to fasting, you may find you’ll run into digestion issues but not to worry, coconut water contains magnesium which helps to prevent constipation!
So now you know how amazing Vita Coco coconut water is, you’ll need to get your hands on some. Thankfully, Vita Coco is practically available in every supermarket so you won’t need to go hunting around to buy some, plus they have an online store with a quick delivery.
Vita Coco have introduced a “Buy One, Donate One” policy which seems to fit perfectly into the Ramadan picture. The idea here is that any Vita Coco coconut water purchase made via their online store using the code HALALGIRL20 will be matched in donations by Vita Coco to a food bank! This special code will get you 20% off your Vita Coco coconut water purchase and you’ll just need to pop in the discount code [HALALGIRL20] during checkout on their online store – you’ll be set for Ramadan in no time.
Here are 10 coconut water recipes to show you why you need to add Vita Coco to your Ramadan shopping basket.
10 Coconut Water Recipes That Are Great For Ramadan
1. Coconut Water Ice Lollies
At HGAT, we believe there is no wrong weather for ice cream or ice lollies which is why we love the idea of making coconut water popsicles during Ramadan, even if it’s raining! They are low in calories, have a minimal amount of sugar and are, of course, freezer friendly. All you’ll need is a popsicle mould with sticks, coconut water and fruits. If you prefer something more creamy, you can use the pressed Vita Coco coconut water for a light and richer popsicle.
HGAT Recipe for Coconut Water Popsicles
Pressed Vita Coco Coconut Water
Fruit of your choice, sliced
Drizzle of honey
- Mix together the coconut water and honey in a pouring jug of your choice. You may need to adjust the amount of honey depending on how sweet you like it.
- Place fruits in popsicle mould
- Pour in the coconut water mixture and add in the sticks
- Place in the freezer overnight or for a few hours.
2. Smoothie Bowls
Let’s face it, a smoothie bowl is the better, upgraded version of a smoothie. It’s thicker, prettier and can rake in those instagram likes. Jokes aside, it makes for a great pre-dawn meal before fast opens and requires fruits, coconut water and a blender!
Here’s our recipe for a pink smoothie bowl that you’ll love. Be sure to freeze the fruits you want to use as it makes the smoothie thicker!
HGAT Banana And Strawberry Smoothie Bowl
Vita Coco Pressed Coconut Water
1-2 frozen bananas
5-7 frozen strawberries
- In a blender, blitz together all the ingredients.
- Scoop out into a bowl and top with any toppings of your choice!
Here are a few more recipes for smoothie bowls that we love:
- Pineapple Smoothie Bowl
- Rainbow Smoothie Bowl – we like to substitute the coconut milk with Pressed Vita Coco coconut water
3. Watermelon Cooler
There’s a reason why watermelon is a sunnah food – it is cooling, rehydrating and low in sugar. Pair this with the ever-refreshing coconut water and it is the perfect combination to break your fast with. We’ve put the two together with some mint to make a drink that is sweet, delicious and a lovely sugar-free replacement to your regular fizzy drink.
HGAT Recipe for Watermelon Cooler
250ml coconut water
1 handful of mint
1 lime, sliced
- In a blender, blitz together the watermelon, coconut water and mint.
- Strain into a glass and serve with lime and mint sprigs.
4. Strawberry Coconut Virgin Mojito
Looking to add some va-va-voom to your iftar table? These virgin strawberry mojitos are perfect and healthy too. We used coconut water and sparkling water to replace the fizzy lemonade and we love the depth of flavour the coconut water gives this drink. Throw in some mint leaves and strawberries and you have a great showstopper of a drink.
HGAT Recipe for Strawberry Coconut Virgin Mojito
2 tsp lime juice
2-3 lime wedges
½-1 tbsp sugar, plus more for a sugar rim
1 handful of mint
300-400ml Vita Coco coconut water
100-200ml sparkling water
- In a jug, add lime juice, sugar, strawberries, mint and crush it up
- Dip your glass rim in water and then sugar for a sugar rim
- Add in crushed strawberry mint mixture into each glass
- Top with coconut water and sparkling water
- Garnish with chopped strawberries, lime wedges and mint leaves.
5. Iced Coffee
We have seen many additions to coffee that have either converted us or made us go “huh?”. There’s butter, condensed milk, egg, cardamom, cocoa powder, lavender, cheese and many, many more. But what happened to the humble coconut water?
Coffee is a natural pick-me-up so imagine adding coconut water to it, which is packed with plenty of electrolytes – the end result is a double whammy of energy. The coconut water also acts as a natural sweetener so you won’t even need to add in sugar. Start with a lower ratio of 1:4 of coffee to coconut water and adjust to your liking.
6. Coconut Water Slushies
Looking for a sweet treat for your child that is healthy and fun to eat? These slushies, made from coconut water and frozen fruit, are great fun to put together with the kids in the kitchen. They can pick and choose what fruits they want to use and can even layer up different slushies in a glass.
Link to recipe: https://www.dessertfortwo.com/fruity-coconut-water-slushes/
7. Coconut Chia Seed Pudding
A chia seed pudding is a delicious cross between dessert and breakfast. Not only is it healthy but it packs a great energy punch – thanks to all of that vitamin C from the Vita Coco coconut water – so it will keep you going throughout the fast. Chia seeds are a great source of protein and can be easily found online or in your local supermarket.
Here are a few chia seed puddings made with coconut water that you can try out:
8. Mango-Coconut Frozen Yoghurt
Looking for a healthy dessert that still tastes good? Then this recipe for a mango-coconut frozen yoghurt will keep you going through Ramadan. The coconut water allows less sugar to be used in this recipe thanks to its natural sweetness and the Pressed Vita Coco Coconut water can be subbed in for a creamier finish. Don’t be shy to add in extra ingredients for flavouring like cardamom, saffron, crushed nuts etc.
Link to recipe: https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/coconut-mango-frozen-yogurt
9. Coconut Sorbet
You know that feeling between iftar and sehri where you’re craving something sweet but don’t fancy something too heavy? This coconut sorbet is a great one to have in the freezer and can be scooped out whenever you’re craving something sweet.
Link to recipe: https://houseofyumm.com/coconut-sorbet/
10. Coconut Water Protein Shake
If you’re brave enough to workout during Ramadan, you’ll want to have a protein shake that isn’t too dense and heavy. Adding coconut water keeps it light, replenishes your electrolytes and is a huge boost in vitamins and minerals to aid you in your post-workout recovery.
We recommend using the Pressed Vita Coco Coconut water in your shakes as it is both light and creamy.
Here are a couple of coconut water protein shakes that we like:
1. Strawberry Coconut Protein Shake
2. Chocolate Almond Coconut Protein Smoothie (you can swap out the coconut milk for the Vita Coco Pressed coconut water here)
And there you have it, 10 coconut water recipes that will have you adding Vita Coco coconut water to your shopping basket in no time. What are your favourite recipes that use coconut water? Let us know in the comment section below.
Don’t forget to use the discount code HALALGIRL20 for 20% off your online order – with every purchase of coconut water made on their online store using this discount code, Vita Coco will match this in donations to food banks. You can buy your coconut water here.