Yes, it’s a scorcher outside but this jammy sweet blueberry galette with creamy ice cream just seems fitting. Don’t you think?
What is a galette ? Think a sweet and flaky pie crust (the best part of any pie, in my opinion) piled high with fruits and baked until the fruits start to burst. It is ideal for any weather and is so versatile you can even make a savoury galette.
Not a fan of blueberries or don’t have any on hand? You can sub out the blueberries for any fruit of your choice – apples, rhubarb, mixed berries, peaches – whatever is in season. Frozen fruit works here too so no need to make an unnecessary trip to the supermarket.
BLUEBERRY GALETTE RECIPE
180g plain flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp caster sugar
Pinch of salt
115g unsalted butter, cold and cubes
3-4 tbsp of ice cold water
1 pack blueberries
50g caster sugar
1 lemon, juice and zest
1 tbsp cornflour
1 egg, beaten
Demerara sugar, for sprinkling
- In a bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, sugar, and salt together.
- Rub in the unsalted butter cubes into the flour mixture until the dough resembles crumbs. You can use a food processor for this.
- Add in the ice cold water a spoonful at a time and bring the dough together using your hands.
- On a floured surface, slightly knead the dough and form a large, thick disc.
- Cover in cling film and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. You can freeze the dough at this point to use at a later date.
- In a bowl, toss together the blueberries, lemon zest and juice, sugar, and cornflour.
- Preheat the oven to 170c (Fan assisted).
- Remove the dough from the fridge and on a floured surface, roll out into a circle. Transfer to a baking sheet with greaseproof paper to prevent sticking.
- Place the blueberry mixture in the middle leaving a 5 cm gap around the sides.
- Fold in the pastry around the edges. Brush the edges with egg wash and sprinkle with brown sugar on top.
- Place in the oven for 45-50 minutes and bake until the pastry is golden and the blueberries are bursting.
- Serve immediately with ice cream or cream.