Halal General Tso Chicken Recipe
So we may have a certain thing for American Chinese dishes as seen on our website with dishes like Mongolian Beef or Orange Chicken and now this halal General Tso chicken recipe. But we can’t help it, they’re just so easy to make and really hit the spot when it comes to iftar time!
When doing research as to how to make this dish, we found a lot of the recipes for General Tso chicken use alcohol in the cooking whether it is marinating the chicken in rice wine or beer or using alcohol in the sauce. Clearly, this is not a halal-friendly recipe so we made a few substitutions so that it is suitable for us to eat and enjoy!
I’ve adapted this recipe from Serious Eats: The Food Lab as Kenji knows how to make good food without taking short cuts! It may seem like it requires a lot of time and effort to make but really this can be ready in less than an hour
HALAL GENERAL TSO CHICKEN RECIPE
500g chicken cubes, breast or thighs
1 egg white
3 tbsp dark soy sauce
3 tbsp chicken stock
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp white pepper
4 tbsp chicken stock
3 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
50g white sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp cornflour
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 inch piece of ginger, minced
2 spring onions, the white ends, minced
1 tsp chilli flakes or small handful of dried chilli pods
4 spring onions, the white ends, chopped
Sesame seeds, for garnish
- With regards to the white wine vinegar, depending on your school of faith, it is permissible to consume this but if you do not feel comfortable using this, you can use white vinegar in it’s place!
- If you don’t fancy deep frying the chicken, you can either pan fry, air fry or even bake in the oven!
- Chicken marinade: In a bowl, whisk the egg white until it becomes frothy and then stir in the dark soy sauce and chicken stock. Add in the chicken pieces and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Dry coating: In a bowl, mix together the cornflour, salt, pepper and baking powder.
- Heat the groundnut or rapeseed oil in a wok or deep pan over medium heat. Whilst the oil is becoming hot, dip each chicken piece into the cornflour mixture until it is fully coated. Once the oil is hot, slowly add in the chicken pieces and fry until they have become golden. Remove from the pan and leave to drain on a kitchen towel or rack.
- For the sauce: In a bowl, whisk together the chicken stock, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, sesame oil and cornflour until no lumps remain. Set this aside.
- In a pan over medium heat, add in a little oil and then cook the ginger, garlic, spring onions and chilli flakes until aromatic but not browned. This should take about 3 minutes.
- Add the sauce mixture to the pan, stirring constantly and cook until the sauce thickens. This should take a couple of minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add in the chopped spring onion pieces. After 5 minutes, add in the fried chicken pieces and toss together until all the pieces are coated. Serve immediately with egg fried rice.