Today, I have got the easiest recipe for you: honey ginger chicken. And it can be ready in 30 minutes!
Sure, it may seem a litttttle intense at first glance but you can mix and match with what ingredients you have at hand and it’s great at using up any old vegetables you have lying in the fridge.
This can be made gluten-free friendly by subbing the soy sauce for tamari and normal flour for gluten free flour. You can also make this using fish and even tofu, great for meat free monday!
There is some frying involved which gives the chicken a little crisp but there’s nothing wrong with baking the chicken or air-frying if you’re watching the waistline.
Let me know how you get on in the comments below!
Notes: I understand not everyone has chinese vinegar at home but I cheated and subbed it for ½ tsp of balsamic and ½ tsp of worcestershire sauce. Also there is no need to use fresh ginger and garlic if you don’t have it on hand, the bottled paste works fine!
HONEY GINGER CHICKEN RECIPE
1tbsp sesame oil
2tbsp soy sauce or tamari if gluten free
1tsp Chinese vinegar
Salt and pepper, to taste
Ginger, chopped or 1 tsp paste
1tsp cornflour, heaped
1tsp honey, heaped
1tbsp brown sugar
Red chillies, chopped
FOR THE CHICKEN
2 breasts chicken
1 capsicum, chopped
4 spring onions
2 shallots, finely chopped
Assortment of vegetables (mangetout, sugar snap peas, broccoli, etc.)
Garlic, chopped or 1 heaped tsp minced
Ginger, chopped or 1 heaped tsp minced
Flour seasoned with salt and pepper (can sub for GF flour)
Groundnut or Rapeseed oil for frying
- In a bowl, add sesame oil, soy sauce, tamari, ketchup, chinese vinegar, ginger, chillies, and salt and pepper.
- Once combined, add in the cornflour, honey, and brown sugar. Mix well.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Dip in seasoned (salt and pepper) flour.
- Heat oil in a pan for shallow frying and dip the chicken pieces in once the oil is hot. Fry until a light golden colour.
- In a wok, add chopped ginger, chopped garlic, shallots, and chillies to the hot oil.
- Add in your spring onions, peppers, and other vegetables.
- Add in your fried chicken pieces.
- Once mixed, pour in the sauce you made previously and mix well.
- Serve immediately with egg fried rice.